Plastics: Compound development at Studer Cables AG
Our materials specialists develop solutions in terms of compounds that are specifically tailored to the respective customer needs.
The development and production of hffr compounds (hffr = halogenfree flame retardant) has been one of the core competencies of Studer Cables AG for years. Our materials specialists develop solutions in terms of compounds that are specifically tailored to the respective customer requirements. This also includes the continuous further development of process technologies.
Our aim is to develop products with novel properties, e.g. in terms of flame retardancy, flexibility or resistance to various media. The reduction of compound costs through the use of new raw materials is also part of this.
Our materials development department has various in-house laboratories. Here, compounding tests are carried out up to pilot plant scale for the production of prototypes. This gives us the opportunity to develop close to our manufacturing process at early stages of development.
State-of-the-art testing facilities in our laboratories enable us to perform most of the fire tests mentioned in the standards as well as aging simulations or tests regarding mechanical, chemical or electrical properties similar to the later field of application.
Fire Laboratory: Center of Excellence (CoE) Fire Testing of Studer Cables AG
Fire behavior is an important criterion for the use of products with safety-related requirements.
We can perform the following standardized fire technological tests:
- Material testing on plastics/compounds: Limited Oxygen Index (LOI) and Critical Temperature Index (CTI)
- Product testing: Fire tests on cables and wires (flame resistance, fire propagation, insulation retention, fire resistance).
- System tests: Testing the functional integrity of electrical cable installations and support systems under fire exposure in accordance with DIN 4102, Part 12.
The fire laboratory (Center of Excellence Fire Testing) of Studer Cables AG tests and evaluates the fire behavior of cable materials and cable products. Our work is used for quality assurance, material and product development, certification and basic research into the fire behavior of products. The following testing facilities are currently available in the Studer Cables AG CoE Fire Testing on almost 400m2:
- a) Material-related tests
- Halogen-free according to IEC 60754-1, EN 50267-2-1
- Corrosiveness according to IEC 60754-2, EN 50267-2/3
- LOI value (Limiting Oxygen Index) according to ASTM D2863, ISO 4589
- Critical Temperature Index (CTI)
- Flue gas density BS 6401, ASTM E 662, NF X 10-702
- b) Product-related tests
- Flame resistance according to IEC, UL, UIC, LV 112 etc.
- Fire propagation according to IEC, EN, BS, UIC
- Fire propagation incl. heat and smoke development according to EN 50399
- Insulation integrity IEC 60331-ff, VDE 0472/814
- Impact test according to EN 50200
- Fire resistance according to BS 6387 (CWZ)
- Functional integrity of a cable system according to DIN 4102 Part 12
- Smoke density test according to EN 61034
Our testing facilities are certified according to the SMT (Supervised Manufacturers Testing) procedure .